Friday, April 22, 2016

Basix Tool - Guest Post by Terry

Despite her retirement, Terry has been very busy around the store teaching classes and leading our Fabric Collectors Club. She has been quilting up a storm! We asked her to review one of our favorite tools, so with out further ado I will let her introduce you to the Basix tool!




I confess -- I have become a notions junkie. When I started quilting back in the 90s, I bought a mat, a ruler, and a rotary cutter. And fabric, lots of fabric. More fabric. A little bit more fabric. And then I started discovering all the cool rulers and templates that make cutting and using that fabric so much easier, and so much fun. At Quilt Market in 2007, I walked past a booth and did a double take at the wonderful quilt hanging there. In I went, and fell in love with the X-Block tools, designed by Patricia Pepe of Quilt Queen Designs. I think I started my Venetian Tiles quilt before I unpacked my suitcase! 

At Quilt Market in 2015, another booth drew me in, and there was Patricia with her newest tool -- Basix. Again, love at first sight! The Basix is very similar to the X-Block, except Basix is designed to use with either 2 1/2" or 1 1/2" strips, which so many of us tend to have in our stashes. Both the X-Block and Basix tools help you turn very simple blocks, often nine-patches, sometimes rail fences, into more complex looking blocks, whose components would be either tedious or difficult to cut. Patricia's tools come with excellent instructions, and she has a wealth of patterns to support both the X-Block and Basix. 

These are tools you'll use more than once, that will help you burn through your stash, and we all need help with that. Some of her simplest, scrappiest patterns will help you produce warm, rich, and lovely quilts.

Guest Post by Terry Tobey

No comments:

Post a Comment