Sunday, March 13, 2016

Wool Applique

I have been playing a lot with wool lately. It is the perfect thing to take with me when I travel or even if I am waiting for an appointment! I can prepare my blocks ahead of time and keep them handy in a project bag with thread, needle, thimble and scissors.


Here are some tips:


When I applique with wool, I prepare the background fabric by ironing Formflex to the wrong side of the fabric. Formflex is a light-weight cotton with a fusible on one side and when it is affixed, it gives your fabric enough body to support the wool. You don’t need to put fabric in a hoop when you use Formflex.


I transfer my patterns onto freezer paper and cut them out using paper scissors. Then I iron the shiny side of the freezer paper to the wool pieces that I have chosen and cut them out using fabric scissors. If I am playing with circles, I love the pre-cut wool circles that we have at Sew Creative in 4 different sizes! Lately I worked with hexagons and we pre-cut those too using an Accuquilt Studio machine. We keep it in the office and use it whenever we want quick and accurately cut shapes.


I love using wool because it is so easy to work with. Our wool is hand dyed and felted in the process. This means that it does not ravel so I don’t have to turn under edges when I sew it down. Wool felt is a different product altogether. It is thinner than felted wool and doesn’t have the same loft. I prefer felted wool when given the choice.


So now I am ready for pinning. I love my applique pins because they are small so my thread rarely catches on them when I am sewing. I don’t like to use fusibles with wool because I find that they don’t stick well due to the thickness of the wool and the pins make it unnecessary to do the extra step of applying a fusible.


I like to use embroidery needles because they are easy to thread.  I hate trying to find the eye of the needle with some of the others! I use 2 strands of matching embroidery floss when I sew. The strands disappear into the wool and this allows me to come back in with thicker embroidery threads for embellishment later. I use a whip-stitch to sew my pieces in place but I know others who swear by the blanket or buttonhole stitch. The choice is up to you.


I love Sue Spargo’s Creative Stitching book for examples of embellishment stitches. We carry many of the threads she recommends and it is always hard to choose from all the lovely colors. I like playing with Sea Grass when I want my stitches to lay flat and contrast against my wool. I also love using silk threads because of their gorgeous colors, sheen and the way they show up against the wool.  


Lately I have been working on the next Block of the Month (using some of the hearts pictured here) and I have been embellishing with different trims and cording. It is easy to sew through these trims or over them to couch them down.


If I don’t have a specific quilt in mind then I just sew circles to each other. I love the way they look and someday they will become a quilt. In the meantime, my hands are busy and I am having fun.

Join me on the fourth Saturday of every month from 2 to 4pm for wool club.  I am happy to demonstrate stitches or answer any
questions. Wool Club participants receive 15% off on wool that day. It is a great way to get going on that wonderful wool project that has been calling to you…or just to sew with friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment